Thursday, January 22, 2009

natural beauty.


This place is SO beautiful. I can’t help but gaze into the mountains and think about what must have transpired there years ago when native Mesoamericans inhabited the area. I keep finding myself wanting to tell people of its beauty, but then I realize that I’ve already expressed this to them… numerous times. ☺ I suppose that’s a good thing - being thankful for being here.

I mean, I should be thankful; it’s an amazing opportunity, really. Through this program, we are able to give of our time and effort to really make a difference in other people’s lives, furthering our skill sets with field work, while at the same time, enjoying a cultural and regenerative experience. And not to mention, the hotel we’re staying at is dope!

In all seriousness though, I think one of the greater things I’ve gained from this trip so far is my reflection on this idea that has been recurring in my mind lately, bubbling in my consciousness even before I came to El Salvador. It is the idea that all things in nature, and life, really, revolve in a larger scheme… some sort of grand ecosystem. It is echoed in the flight of the vultures circling overhead as they search for carrion, indicative not of death, but of renewal. It flows through the tiered natural water system implemented in our hotel, and is reflected in the sad eyes of the hungry stray seeking for food to nurse her pups. Each element is constantly moving, affecting some other integral piece in the system, and continuing in its natural ebb and flow.

I feel like what is even more beautiful about our being here in El Salvador is how the school we are working on will serve to educate the children about their environment, the world around them, and how to take care of it. It acts as a facilitator in the ecosystem, promoting sustainability. I’m a huge proponent of education, in all facets really, but this school is truly something special, as its focus on biological systems and environmental sustainability will teach students the importance of caring for their surroundings. This will not only preserve this cycle of environmental awareness within generations to come, but will allow El Salvador to maintain its powerful natural beauty that has so captivated me. In my opinion, this is a most worthy cause.

No comments: